Friday, December 11, 2009

calico angels part 2




Had to do a bit of refocusing this morning.. I am finding it a bit tricky at the moment to find the balance between being "the housewife" and being the "fun mum". The housewife in me wants to CLEAN. I dont have alot of time during the day to do it and weekends are normally time for us a whole family. But lately I have found that I have been cleaning more ( comes with having a still sort of new house I guess) and not sitting and playing as I used to. So this morning, I got out the Mobilo ( one of the best toys I have ever played with) and, with Jared and Jumeirah, made cranes. I had to cheat and look at the instructions to do mine, but Jumeirahs was awesome. And of course, Jared thought hers was better too :)









And so we played most of the morning, did a spot of dancing, a little crazy car racing on the tiles... just basically had time together.
The best morning :)
Then I found this poem and I totally get it.

Housework Can Wait

Come in, but don't expect to find
All dishes done, all floors ashine.
Observe the crumgs and toys galore.
The smudgy prints upon the door.
The little ones we shelter here
Don't thrive on a spotless atmosphere.
They're more inclined to disarray
And carefree even messy play.
Their needs are great, their patience small.
All day I'm at their beck and call.
It's Mommy come! Mommy see!
Wiggly worms and red scraped knee.
Painted pictures, blocks piled high.
My floors unshined, the days go by.
Some future day they'll flee this nest,
And I at last will have a rest!
Now you tell me which matters more,
A happy child or a polished floor?

...Author Unknown


Today, amidst all this bondy time, Jumeirah and I sat and made the ribbons part of our angels.
What you need:

A completed angel body ( yesterdays tutorial)

Ribbon ( now really this bit is up to you... colour, width, can really be your choice. I chose three ribbon rolls: a green satin 6mm wide, a red satin 12 mm wide, and a christmas ribbon that has wire in the edges to make the wings, its 5cm wide)

Glue gun

How to do it:

(if you are using same widths and colours as my ribbons)

Cut 3 lengths of the red ribbon 50cm long

Cut two lengths of green ribbon 40cm long

Fold each of the red ribbon lengths in half and pinch it together so it makes a small indent in the ribbon (so you can see where half is)

Place three small blobs of glue along the top of the angels shoulders and attach each of the red ribbon lengths at the indented half way mark. Start with the middle one so you can get it even.



Place three small blobs of glue at the waist of the angel in the front and run each ribbon down to each glue spot. Dont pull it down too hard, jsut let it fall naturally to that place. Repeat for the back of the angels waist.

Each green ribbon can now be placed down the two seams between the red ribbons, gluing at the top and waist of the angel.



cut a 15cm length of both ribbons for a waist band. Attach the red then green by placing a dot of glue at the middle of the waisit in the front, a dot of glue at the side and at the back. You dont need heaps of glue if you use a glue gun.




You have now got a (still headless, I promise its coming) beautifully ribboned Angel!

Now normally, I dont blog on weekends, but if I get a chance to make these heads I will post them :)

happy weekend!!

No comments:

Post a Comment