Monday, March 14, 2011

simplest of racing tracks

Weekends are mad, busy,crazy, tiring. Today all I want to do is sit.

Tweedle dee and Tweedle dum had other ideas of wanting me to make cubbies and tents and all sorts of crazy stuff but luckily I had something new hiding up my sleeve....

For weeks, Amahli has been in love with this simple mat I made from stiff felt. Its been a base for play with so much lately and its been great as I can change whats on top from people to animals, to blocks and stones, and the play has changed without the need of a new style of mat or a heap of different props.

Gee I love toys like that :)


At the end of last week I decided to make Jared a play mat too that could be used for "small world" play as well, and so we bought more stiff felt.

Today I showed it to him and asked him if he would like to help me make a car track. And so he sat on my lap and hand pressed the foot pedal on the machine ( note to self : this wasnt the greatest idea... its like driving a car with someone elses foot on the excelerator... but I was sitting so my legs were thanking me) and we whizzed up this REALLY simple car track.


Now I had all sorts of grand plans for pit stops and trees and even just some simple track markings but he was having none of that. He just wanted to test it out.



And as simple as it is, he LOVED it. Speeding cars around the track, trying to avoid the ineveitable kitty cat that tried to cross from the other play mat ( thanks Amahli) totally engrossed with a few mini cars and a cute piece of felt :)



I am planning on making some more wiht more detail to sell in my currently empty Etsy shop. Such a fun and easy toy that would be great for a plane trip, or tucked away for a doctors surgery or hospital visit... and according to the toy testers:


"Its just wonderful!"

1 comment:

  1. It does look like a great time. You can also use sticky pieces of velcro on those mini cars an hang the race track on the wall. The kids will be amazed that the cars stick on the wall. :-)

    ReplyDelete